Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarships
Thanks to endowments generously created by many community donors, the Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarships are available to Ascension Seton and Dell Children’s associates who are pursuing an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in nursing.
$5,000 will be awarded for each scholarship or $7,500 for nurse applicants seeking an advanced nursing degree (MSN or DNP/PhD).
The application deadline is Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:00 pm.
Eligibility Details & Requirements
The online application will open Thursday, May 6, 2021.
- Be an Ascension Seton associate (full-time or part-time)
- FT and PT associates must have been hired on or before March 31, 2020, and have had at least one annual performance evaluation
- PRN employees are not eligible to apply
- Students must be enrolled in an accredited RN program for the Fall 2021 semester. (Note: If you are currently finishing your nursing prerequisite courses you are NOT eligible for this scholarship program.)
- A completed application and two letters of recommendation must be submitted by the May 28 deadline in order to be considered. One letter of recommendation MUST be from your current supervisor.
- Selected recipients will also be required to submit their registration for the Fall 2021 semester into an accredited RN program by August 2, 2021, to receive a scholarship award.
- Past recipients and applicants are welcome to apply.
Please note that the application and both letters of recommendation must be submitted through the online process by the May 28 deadline. For more information, please contact Julie Biggart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read through the eligibility details and requirements above to determine if you qualify.
- Fill out the application form. You may save your application and return later to complete it by clicking Save & Return Later. Ensure you write down your return code.
– Log in when you want to make any changes or additions to your application.
– You may return and make changes/edits to your application as needed up until the May 28 deadline.
- Once your application is submitted, an email will be sent to each reference with instructions for completing a letter of recommendation.
To preview the entire application you can click here. All applications must be completed online through the Apply Now link above.
Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship – Completed application and two letters of recommendation (including one from an immediate supervisor at Ascension Seton) must be submitted by 12pm, Friday, May 28, 2021.
Those selected to receive a scholarship must submit registration for the Fall 2021 semester into an accredited school of nursing by August 2, 2021, in order to receive their scholarship.
Tips for Success
- Start early! It takes time to complete the application and get your letters of recommendation.
- It is important that you take the time to fill in all the areas of the application correctly. Applications that are missing information or are not complete with all attachments will NOT be accepted.
- Put thought and effort into your answers to the brief essay questions on the application. These questions are designed to help members of the selection committee get to know you.
- Please take the time to proof read or have someone else proof read your application. The Selection Committee often overlooks applications that include bad grammar, misspellings and punctuation mistakes.
- Take the time to reflect on the Mission and Values of Ascension Seton and include those thoughts in your essay responses. Take the time to think about why you would make a good nurse and why you want to further your education.
- When you approach someone to ask them to write you a letter of recommendation, explain what you need, where they can find the form online, the deadline for submission, and ask them for their preferred email.
- When asking for a recommendation, try to speak to your references in-person before you complete your application. If you must use email or voicemail to communicate, be sure to give them a specific deadline of when you need the letter and ask for their preferred email address.
- It is also helpful to provide copies of your resume or your work history and accomplishments to those you have asked to write your letters. This will make it easier for them to write a strong recommendation.
- Follow up with your references by writing a thank you letter or email. Do this immediately after asking them to write a letter for you. In your letter to them, mention some reasons why you need the scholarship and remind them of your accomplishments. This will help them write a stronger recommendation letter.
- The complete application, including your personal information and letters of recommendation must be submitted online. We are unable to accept any applications or supporting materials in any other format. If you are selected to receive a scholarship, you will be notified that a receipt of registration for the Fall 2021 semester will be required.
Remember: You must submit your application and any supporting materials, including letters of recommendation, by the May 28 deadline in order to be considered for the scholarship for which you are applying.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship Endowment?
The Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship Endowment was established in 2005 through the generosity of many community supporters to provide educational support to Ascension Seton associates and help Ascension Seton recruit and retain nurses. As of 2019, 566 scholarships worth $2,093,000 have been awarded to outstanding Ascension Seton nurses.
Who is eligible to receive the Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship?
Only Ascension Seton associates are eligible to receive these scholarships. Full-time and part-time associates must have been hired on or before March 31, 2020, and have had at least one annual performance evaluation. Additionally, to be eligible you must be currently enrolled or accepted into an accredited RN program for the Fall 2021 semester. PRN employees are not eligible.
How many scholarships will be awarded this year?
Up to 65 scholarships are awarded every year, $5,000 will be awarded for each scholarship or $7,500 for nurse applicants seeking an advanced nursing degree (MSN or DNP/PhD).
What do the scholarships cover?
The scholarships are intended to cover costs for tuition, fees, books and other school-related expenses.
How is the Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship treated for tax purposes?
Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship funds used to pay for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment, attendance or instruction at an educational institution are generally non-taxable for federal income tax purposes. Any portion of the funds used for other purposes, such as to pay for room, board, travel and miscellaneous expenses, are generally taxable. Recipients are encouraged to review IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, and consult with their tax adviser as to their particular circumstances.
Is the award of a Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship conditioned upon the performance of services to Ascension Seton after the scholarship is awarded?
No. There is no requirement for recipients to continue employment with Ascension Seton after the scholarship is awarded.
Who selects the scholarship recipients?
A selection committee that is comprised each year of Ascension Seton nurses, past scholarship recipients, Seton Nurse Scholarship Endowment donors and other Ascension Seton staff.
When will the scholarships be awarded?
If you are selected to receive a scholarship, you will be notified in mid-July by mail and email, and your scholarship funds will be available by early September.
What is the deadline?
Your online application and letters of recommendation must be submitted online by no later than 12:00 pm on Friday, May 28, 2021.
Does everything have to be submitted online?
Yes. Your application and letters of recommendation must all be submitted online.
Does my reference have to submit his/her letter of recommendation online?
Yes. All letters of recommendation must be submitted online.
Who may write my letters of recommendation?
One letter of recommendation must be from your current supervisor at Ascension Seton. The other may be from a peer, teacher, community member, or other individual who is not a family member.
What exactly are the special designated scholarships for qualified candidates, and how do I know if I qualify and can be considered for one?
There are scholarship funds available that are designated for individuals who are pursuing certain areas of nursing (geriatric, pediatric, oncology, OB/GYN, emergency services, neurosciences and psychiatric); who live in Burnet or Llano County; associates at Dell Children’s Medical Center, Ascension Seton Hays, Ascension Seton Northwest, Ascension Seton Williamson, Dell Seton Medical Center, Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin, Emergency Department at Dell Children’s, Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin NICU; are pursuing a doctoral degree; and/or who attend University of Texas at Austin.
If you are eligible for one or more of these designated scholarships, please check those for which you would like to be considered. By checking one or more boxes, you verify that you meet the corresponding designation associated with that scholarship. Checking one of the boxes does not eliminate you from consideration for a general Ascension Seton Nurse Scholarship.